The Charleston Yacht Club was founded in 1934 to foster interest in water sports. The nine original members gathered at Adger’s Wharf, located at the foot of Tradd Street in the City of Charleston. In 1936, the Yacht Club was given land by the Halsey family. Today this location is near a tidal pool across the boulevard from the present George M. Lockwood Marina. The original building consisted of a dilapidated mule barn, but through the efforts of the members, it was made suitable for a yacht club. In 1961, the City Marina was moved to its present location, the Navy’s mine sweeper fueling facility. The Charleston Yacht Club was housed in a building on the main dock of the Marina. The membership soon outgrew the building and in 1985, construction began on the present facilities located on the City of Charleston property at the George M. Lockwood Municipal Marina.
The Club has continued to maintain its strong commitment to all boating activities. The Yacht Club has sponsored a Junior Sailing Program for 25 years and for many summers instructed over 100 young sailors, many of whom are leaders in the sailing community today. From this program emerged the Charleston Junior Yacht Club, whose membership consists of local youths active in all forms of boating. The Yacht Club sponsors many U.S. Sailing Association quarter and semifinal championship regattas and the South Atlantic Yacht Racing Associations Inshore and Offshore Championships. It has also hosted several national championships including the Mallory National Championship, Y-Flyer Nationals and Sunfish North Americans. The Charleston Yacht Club is a member of the South Atlantic Yacht Racing Association and U. S. Sailing Association.