Download a printable version of the by-laws HERE.
Charleston Yacht Club Auxiliary By-Laws
The name of the organization shall be The Charleston Yacht Club Auxiliary.
The purpose of the organization shall be to assist, in any way possible, the officers and committee chairmen of our affiliate, The Charleston Yacht Club.
Membership in The Charleston Yacht Club Auxiliary shall be as stated in the “The Charleston Yacht Club Constitution and By-Laws.”
Dues shall be established by the Board of Directors, as part of the budget, and approved by the members at the November meeting, payable by Feb. 1 of each year, and delinquent as of March 15. Any member who has not paid by March 15 will be dropped from the rolls as of the first of April.
Regular monthly meetings will be held on the second Thursday of each month, excepting January. The Board of Directors will set the meeting times and will have authority to change the dates and times as needed.
The Board of Directors is the governing body and shall consist of the President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, Immediate Past President, Membership Chair, and Meetings Chair. Each officer shall serve for a term of one year. If a vacancy occurs in any office, the Board of Directors may appoint a member to fill the unexpired term.
At the discretion of the Board, up to 3 additional Board members may be appointed to the Board, such members to be head of committees as may be necessary or desirable for the activities of the Auxiliary.
The Board of Directors shall meet monthly. A report of the minutes of the Board of Directors meetings will be distributed at the monthly meetings and/or in the newsletter.
Duties of the officers are as follows:
The Nominating Committee shall be chaired by the Immediate Past President, and consist of three (3) immediate past presidents, currently in good standing, plus two (2) members at large appointed by the President. The immediate Past President will be the Chair. The Nominating Committee report will be presented to the membership at the October meeting, and elections held at the November meeting. Nominations may be accepted from the floor during the October meeting and added to the ballot.
The Auxiliary’s fiscal year will be Jan. 1 through Dec. 31. Officers will begin their terms as of Jan. 1.
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting by a majority of those present, provided that such proposed amendment has been read in full at the preceding regular meeting, and submitted in full in the newsletter of the previous month.
In regard to The Charleston Yacht Club Regatta, every member is encouraged to assist and cooperate to the fullest with the members of The Charleston Yacht Club.
New Standing Rules:
1. The budget for monthly meeting suppers is $ 400.00, including decorations. Preparation should normally be for 60-70 people. The meeting meal chair for the cooking group will advise the President if there are any exceptions. Ticket price is $ 7.00; with the intent that such cost for the meals should come from the ticket price; and no member or committee shall be responsible for extra funding or donation. Cooks eat free. Leftovers should be sold to members before the end of the meeting at a price decided upon by the cooks; any remaining may be sent home with volunteers or staff.
2. Each member is encouraged to assist with at least one monthly meeting per year (decorations, food, etc.). Each member is encouraged to bring a dish to support the Commodore’s Cocktail Party (or other such event) as part of the Charleston Yacht Club Regatta.
3. There will be a 50/50 drawing or Door prize at each meeting.
4. The Christmas Party will be a Friday or Saturday in early December as set by the Board. The Christmas Party is free to Auxiliary members and one guest. The fee for other guests will be set by the Board.
5. Flowers or appropriate gift will be sent to members in the event of hospitalization. A card will be sent to an Auxiliary member’s immediate family in the event of illness.
6. In the event of the death of an Auxiliary member, or member’s spouse or child, flowers will be sent or a monetary gift in memoriam sent in that person’s name. Auxiliary members may volunteer to prepare and deliver food to the home of the Auxiliary member on such occasion, but no reimbursement will be made. All members are encouraged to notify the Corresponding Secretary or President of any illness or death.
7. When funds are available, an appropriate gift should be made to the Charleston Yacht Club. Such gift shall be approved by the Board of Directors, and recommended to the membership for approval during a regular membership meeting.